In early 2012, the Youth Coalition for Sexual and Reproductive Rights (YCSRR) was selected to co-chair the International Steering Committee of the Global Youth Forum, alongside the Asian-Pacific Resource & Research Center for Women (ARROW). The Global Youth Forum is part of a series of events organized by the United Nations Populations Fund (UNFPA) which will contribute to the 20-year review of the 1994 International Conference on Population and Development’s Program of Action (ICPD PoA).
The next 2 years will consist of a thorough review of progress made, and remaining challenges, related to the first 20 years of the ICPD PoA. The review process will create spaces for youth sexual and reproductive rights advocates to highlight areas where we think progress is lacking, identify issues that need to be addresses moving forward and strategize on how we can push a forward rights-based development agenda. The ICPD PoA review process comes at a critical time, with less than 3 years before the Millennium Development Goals (MDGs) are meant to be achieved, in 2015.
It is essential that youth SRR advocates be actively engaged in the ICPD review process. In order to facilitate this, the YCSRR is in the process of delivering a series of regional workshops aimed at engaging youth SRR advocates in the ICPD review process and hold their governments accountable to the commitments they made 20 years ago. The first regional training was held in June 2012, more information about this workshop can be found here. The next workshop in the series will be held in Bogotá, Columbia for youth SRR advocates from Latin America and the Spanish Speaking Caribbean. More information regarding future workshops will be available shortly.
In addition to the YCSRR’s regional workshops, there are a number of other UNFPA-organized regional and global events taking place within the review process. They include:
Regional Population Conferences (2013)
- Asia & the Pacific: September 16-20, 2013, Bangkok
- Western Asia: July 1-4, 2013, Cairo. Location is tentative.
- Europe: July 1-2, 2013, Geneva
- Latin America 7 the Caribbean: August 1-15, Uruguay. Exact dates to be determined.
- Africa: September 1, 13, 17. Exact dates and location to be determined.
- Country complete the ICPD Global Survey
- Global Youth Forum, Bali, Indonesia
- 46th Session of the Commission on Population & Development
- Global Conference on Human Rights
- Global Conference on Women’s Health
- 47th Session of the Commission on Population & Development
- Secretary-General’s Index Report on 47th CPD
- UN General Assembly Special Session on ICPD Beyond 2014
There have also been a number of regional consultations with civil society organizations, including youth organizations. Please see below a full list of consultations, as well as their Calls to Action:
- Caribbean: Ocho Rios Declaration
- Africa: From Accra to ICPD Beyond 2014: Recommendations from African CSOs and Young People
- Asia and the Pacific: Kuala Lumpur Call to Action
- Latin America: Compromiso de Montevideo
To find more information related to the review process, please visit the following sources:
Be sure to monitor this page, where the YCSRR will continue to provide you with updates and opportunities for young people to engage in the review process!