NOTE: This job description is a modified version of the Logistics, Administration, and Finance Officer (LAFO) position originally posted on the YCSRR website on May 15th 2018. Modifications have been made to reflect the changing hiring priorities of the organization. Candidates who already applied for the LAFO position are encouraged to re-apply for the position of AAO, if still interested, by modifying their original applications to fit the requirements of this new job description.
The Youth Coalition for Sexual and Reproductive Rights (YCSRR) is an international organization of young people (ages 18-29 years) committed to promoting adolescent and youth sexual and reproductive health and rights at the national, regional and international levels. We are volunteers from all over the world, with a small team of staff based in Ottawa to support us in this mandate. We are students, researchers, lawyers, health care professionals, educators, development workers, and most importantly, we are all dedicated activists and human rights defenders.
Together, we work to ensure that the sexual and reproductive rights of all young people are respected, guaranteed and promoted, and strive to secure the meaningful participation of young people in decision-making that affects the lives of young people and adolescents. We do this through advocating, generating knowledge, sharing information, building partnerships, and training young activists.
Under the supervision of the Executive Coordinator (EC), the AAO will be responsible for day-to-day accounting and financial tasks as well as organizing logistics for events. The AAO is also responsible for supporting the EC in the preparation of financial and annual reports and audits, and, in collaboration with the EC and the Board of Directors (BD), for ensuring the financial integrity of the organization.
This is a full-time position for one year, with an excellent benefits package and the possibility of renewal. The AAO position is based in Ottawa, Ontario and applicants must be able to legally work in Canada and be willing to relocate to Ottawa for the position.
Responsibilities and Tasks
Financial Operations (75%)
- Maintain accurate records of all transactions and expenses for YCSRR activities
- Maintain financial log of expenses, deposits and transfers into QuickBooks accounting software
- Work closely with the Program Manager to manage the budget for the Project to Promote Adolescent Sexual and Reproductive Health in Benin (ProJeunes), a three-year project funded by Global Affairs Canada
- Lead on financial management for the YCSRR and reporting to funders, including overseeing grant funds, ensuring adherence to funder/donor requirements and preparing consolidated budgets for all grants
- Report to the Executive Coordinator on a monthly basis (status of budgets and financial situation, etc.), and to the Board of Directors quarterly, to enable financial decision-making
- Develop and oversee project budgets and present expense reports as directed by the EC to the BD and YCSRR members in the lead up to, during, and following events
- Provide financial management advice on budget revisions, prepare monthly forecasts, and make amendments to budgets as needed
- Coordinate payment of bills
- Assist EC in preparing financial reports and preparing for annual audits
- Perform other duties, as directed by the EC
Administrative Duties (25%)
- Maintain and implement administration and logistics procedures in line with organizational requirements
- Provide logistical support for the ProJeunes project and other programmatic activities
- Oversee office operations
- Maintain inventory of office supplies, and make orders when necessary
- Maintain filing and resource collection systems
- Provide support to program staff coordinating publications and resources
- Perform any other general office duties, as directed
Please note: YCSRR is an organization of young people under 30 years old. Applicants must be 29 years old or younger in order to be considered for this role.
- Undergraduate degree/college diploma in accounting, administration, or finance (or other related discipline), or equivalent experience
- At least one year of experience managing organizational finances and accounting
- Skills in QuickBooks, or a similar accounting software
- Excellent computer skills, particularly Microsoft Excel
- Detail-oriented with strong time management and organizational skills, and ability to maintain meticulous records
- Ability to prioritize, multi-task, and work quickly under pressure both independently and as a part of a team
- Excellent communication skills
- Strong commitment to the principles of anti-oppression and demonstrated commitment to YCSRR principles and values
- Demonstrated ability working in multicultural work environments and across time zones
- Willingness and ability to travel nationally and internationally and (occasionally) work flexible hours
- Knowledge of Global Affairs Canada financial regulations and reporting requirements
- Involvement in a youth led and/or social justice initiative, organization, or network
- Familiarity (or interest in) advocacy, sexual and reproductive rights, and international development
- Experience working with volunteers and with remote teams
- Experience working with governance bodies such as boards
The position is based in Ottawa, Canada. Applicants must be legally able to work in Canada. The YCSRR is not in a position to sponsor work visa applications. The successful candidate is expected to start on October 8th 2018.
- Opportunity to work in an entirely youth-led, innovative, and social justice driven international organization
- Small but mighty team that offers flexible working hours and work culture
- Opportunities to travel internationally and take on diverse and challenging responsibilities as a youth SRHR advocate nationally, regionally, and internationally
- Salary is $40,000-45,000 CAD, to be negotiated based on experience and qualifications, and includes a comprehensive benefits package (including vision and dental care)
How To Apply
Interested candidates should send a PDF version of their cover letter and resume in a single pdf document 3 pages maximum to firstname.lastname@example.org. Applications will be accepted on a rolling basis until September 16th 2018.
If you have any questions or concerns do not hesitate to contact us by email and we will respond promptly. No late or incomplete applications will be considered. Unfortunately, due to the volume of applications received only shortlisted candidates will be contacted for an interview. We will not be able to provide individual feedback on applications.
Youth Coalition for Sexual and Reproductive Rights recognizes the contributions and critical perspectives that individuals from marginalized communities bring to our team. People including, but not limited to, those from the following groups are encouraged to apply: First Nations people, Inuit and Métis people; women; mothers; single parents; immigrants; people of colour; lesbian, bisexual, gay, two spirit, transgender, gender non-conforming, queer, and questioning people; intersex people; people with disabilities; and those marginalized on the basis of class or caste.