The Youth Coalition for Sexual and Reproductive Rights (YCSRR) is an international organization of young people (ages 18-29 years) committed to promoting adolescent and youth sexual and reproductive health and rights at the national, regional and international levels. We are volunteers from all over the world, with a small team of staff based in Ottawa to support us in this mandate. We are students, researchers, lawyers, health care professionals, educators, development workers, and most importantly, we are all dedicated activists.
Together, we work to ensure that the sexual and reproductive rights of all young people are respected, guaranteed and promoted, and strive to secure the meaningful participation of young people in decision-making that affects the lives of young people and adolescents. We do this through advocating, generating knowledge, sharing information, building partnerships, and training young activists.
The YCSRR is looking to recruit a Program and Communications Assistant to support our work on gender equality, sexual and reproductive rights, youth and adolescent health, and international advocacy. The successful student will work with the Executive Coordinator to co-create a terms of reference and work plan that coincides with their interests and areas of study as related to the work of YCSRR. Potential tasks and responsibilities are listed below.
This is a Canada Summer Jobs position. As such, applicants must be:
- Between 15 and 30 years of age (inclusive) at the start of employment;
- Was registered as a full-time student during the preceding academic year;
- Intends to return to school on a full-time basis during the next academic year;
- Is a student in a post-secondary, vocational, or technical program;
- Is a Canadian Citizen, permanent resident, or person on whom refugee protection has been conferred under Immigration and Refugee Protection Act and;
- Is legally entitled to work according to the relevant provincial/territorial legislation and regulations
Responsibilities and Tasks
Specific tasks and responsibilities may include:
- Programmatic and logistical support for the Projet pour promouvoir la santé sexuelle et les droits des adolescents et jeunes au Bénin (PRESSDA), a three-year project funded by Global Affairs Canada
- Programmatic and logistical support for general YCSRR activities.
- Support and facilitate YCSRR’s international volunteer members in the development, delivery, and monitoring and evaluation of programs and activities.
- Supporting the staff in daily activities of the organization, including meeting preparation and contributing to reports.
- Supporting the internal and external communications of the organization through contributing and expanding YCSRR’s online presence through website updates, blog writing, social media content creation, and developing online campaigns.
- Supporting programs, special events, trainings, advocacy activities, and networking within the YCSRR.
- Research and writing of position papers and policy briefs on topics including, but not limited to, the sexual and reproductive health and rights of young people and key populations including young people living with disabilities, indigenous youth, and LGBTQ2 youth; meaningful youth participation; and the United Nations Sustainable Development Goals.
- Other tasks as required.
Skills and Experience Required
- Excellent spoken and written English required; proficiency in French is an asset.
- Demonstrated ability to write clear, engaging communications materials, including reports and briefs.
- Experience and proficiency with social media, including Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram.
- Experience and/or knowledge of one or more of the following areas: gender, public health, adolescents, youth, rights and/or community/international development.
- Strong commitment to the principles of anti-oppression practices and demonstrated commitment to YCSRR principles and values.
- Demonstrated capacity to work both in a self-directed manner and collaboratively with other staff and stakeholders.
- Demonstrated ability working in multicultural work environments.
- Detail-oriented with strong time management and organizational skills.
The position is based in Ottawa, Canada. The successful candidate is expected to start on Monday June 11th 2018 for an 8-week term at 30 hours per week. The hourly wage rate is $15 CAD an hour.
How To Apply
Interested candidates should send a cover letter and resume (3 pages maximum) to firstname.lastname@example.org by 11:59 pm EST on May 27th, 2018.
If you have any questions or concerns do not hesitate to contact us by email and we will respond promptly. No late or incomplete applications will be considered. Unfortunately, due to the volume of applications received only shortlisted candidates will be contacted for an interview.
Youth Coalition for Sexual and Reproductive Rights recognizes the contributions and critical perspectives that individuals from marginalized communities bring to our team. People including, but not limited to, those from the following groups are encouraged to apply: First Nations people, Inuit and Métis people; women; mothers; single parents; immigrants; people of colour; lesbian, bisexual, gay, two spirit, transgender, gender non-conforming, queer, and questioning people; intersex people; people with disabilities; and those marginalized on the basis of class or caste.