Youth and Adolescent Sexual and Reproductive Health and Rights Program Manager – Benin (One-Year Contract)
This job posting is now closed.
The Youth Coalition for Sexual and Reproductive Rights (YCSRR) is an international organization of young people (ages 18-29 years) committed to promoting adolescent and youth sexual and reproductive health and rights at the national, regional and international levels. We are volunteers from all over the world, with a small team of staff based in Ottawa to support us in this mandate. We are students, researchers, lawyers, health care professionals, educators, development workers, and most importantly, we are all dedicated activists.
Together, we work to ensure that the sexual and reproductive rights of all young people are respected, guaranteed and promoted, and strive to secure the meaningful participation of young people in decision-making that affects the lives of young people and adolescents. We do this through advocating, generating knowledge, sharing information, building partnerships, and training young activists.
The YCSRR is looking to recruit a full-time Youth and Adolescent Sexual and Reproductive Health and Rights Program Manager. This new position will lead the “Projet pour promouvoir la santé sexuelle et les droits des adolescents et jeunes au Bénin (PRESSDA)” a three-year Global Affairs Canada funded project in Benin. The successful candidate will also support the day-to-day activities of the YCSRR. The Program Manager will be supervised by the Executive Coordinator of the YCSRR and will work closely with colleagues from CARE Canada and CARE Benin, among others. The ideal candidate has strong project management skills, is fluent in both French and English and has a passion for youth and adolescent sexual and reproductive health and rights. This is a one- year contract with the possibility of renewal.
Responsibilities and Tasks
Program Management of the PRESSDA Project (75%)
Working closely and effectively with implementing partners, including colleagues at CARE Canada, CARE Benin, Global Affairs Canada, YCSRR, among others:
- Lead on the development, delivery, monitoring and evaluation, and adherence to donor agreements of YCSRR’s PRESSDA-related programs and activities
- Assist in the development of quality, youth-led, rights-based, and inclusive programs to be implemented by CARE Benin and other partners
- Develop, review, and revise project work plans and budgets in consultation with finance staff and across stakeholders
- Lead the preparation of internal and external reports
- Represent YCSRR in project planning meetings, public engagement activities, and in government relations domestically and internationally to promote the PRESSDA project and YCSRR’s work in SRHR
- Coordinate with key stakeholders, including relevant ministries and other appropriate NGOs and CSOs to build strong healthy working relationships and develop strong partnerships
- Perform other duties, as directed
General Program Support (25%)
Working closely and effectively with YCSRR staff and members, among others:
- Support members in the planning, implementation, and evaluation of activities, including trainings, events, conferences, etc.
- Support the fund development efforts of the YCSRR through stakeholder engagement and developing and writing proposals
- Assist in capturing results from advocacy, projects, and communications work
- Support the facilitation of YCSRR communications, including writing content for newsletters, the website and social media
- Perform other duties, as directed
- Excellent spoken and written French and English – this is a bilingual imperative position
- A degree in a relevant field (e.g. Global Health, Development Studies, Human Rights, Gender Studies) or equivalent work experience
- Demonstrated success managing international projects, complying with partnership agreements, and building rapport with stakeholders resulting in building strong partnerships
- Experience in monitoring and evaluation of projects
- Experience and/or knowledge of one or more of the following areas: gender, public health, adolescents, youth, rights and/or community development
- Knowledge of the issues surrounding youth and adolescent sexual and reproductive health and rights including, but not limited to, child, early and forced marriage, comprehensive sexuality education, and sexual and gender-based violence
- Strong commitment to the principles of anti-oppression practices and demonstrated commitment to YCSRR principles and values
- Demonstrated capacity to work both in a self-directed manner and collaboratively with other staff and stakeholders
- Demonstrated ability working in multicultural work environments
- Detail-oriented with strong time management and organizational skills
- Willingness and ability to travel internationally
- Involvement in a youth led and/or social change initiative, organization, or network
- Understanding of the policies, practices, and requirements of Global Affairs Canada grants
- Experience working or living in a developing country
- Demonstrated experience in Sub-Saharan Africa; experience in West Africa, and particularly Benin, would be an asset
- Experience working in government, intergovernmental or international NGOs
- Experience in innovative approaches to monitoring and evaluation (i.e. creative and participatory M&E practices such as photo voice and storytelling)
- Experience working with volunteers and with remote teams
- Familiarity with Results Based Management (RBM)
Please note: YCSRR is an organization of young people under 30 years old. Applicants must be 29 years old or younger in order to be considered for this role.
The position is based in Ottawa, Canada. Applicants must be legally able to work in Canada. YCSRR is not able to sponsor or support candidates in obtaining a Canadian work permit. The successful candidate is expected to start on Monday February 12th 2018.
- Opportunity to work in an entirely youth-led, innovative, and social justice driven international organization
- Small but mighty team that offers flexible working hours and work culture
- Opportunities to travel internationally and take on diverse and challenging responsibilities as a youth SRHR advocate nationally, regionally, and internationally
- YCSRR offers a competitive salary commensurate with experience, and includes a comprehensive benefits package
How To Apply
Interested candidates should send a cover letter and resume (3 pages maximum) to applications@youthcoalition.
Youth Coalition for Sexual and Reproductive Rights recognizes the contributions and critical perspectives that individuals from marginalized communities bring to our team. People including, but not limited to, those from the following groups are encouraged to apply: First Nations people, Inuit and Métis people; women; mothers; single parents; immigrants; people of colour; lesbian, bisexual, gay, two spirit, transgender, gender non-conforming, queer, and questioning people; intersex people; people with disabilities; and those marginalized on the basis of class or caste.